The tower contains the principle entrance, lower part being of original eighteenth century construction with the top and saddle-back roof added circa 1844.
There is a small window of a cross, decorated with vines. The inscription reads, "In loving memory of Henry Edward Bell B. A. vicar 1871 to 1875. The Patron and pardoners adorned and beautified this church in 1897 being the 60th year of Victoria Queen and Empress and the 1300th Anniversary of the landing of St. Augustine.”
The mechanism for the clock resides here but, alas, has not worked for many years. It was donated to the church by the Tindall family of Broomhouse in 1901.
© 2017 Holy Cross Chatton