Contains the fount presented in 1855 by the vicar and his wife in memory of their deceased children. The banner depicts the good shepherd. The original woodwork from the baptistry was removed earlier in the century and made by the Wilson's of Chatton into the reredos riddle posts which now surrounded the high alter.
There are pieces of stone from the tomb(s) of a Knights Templar. The templars were mercenaries who were known to have fought at various times on the side of both Bruce and Edward. The origin of these stones in the baptistery is not known, but it would seem only natural that the north aisle built by the Duke of Northumberland sometime after 1763, should be built on existing foundations and perhaps ruins. This would seem to add weight to the evidence that there was a chapel here dating from the thirteenth century.
Click for information on the "Mystery of the Coffin" that pertains to one of these knights
© 2017 Holy Cross Chatton