Holy Cross Organ was built by George Maydwell Holdich (1816-1896) in about 1850 for the chapel of Magdelon College, Oxford, coming to the church in 1896.
The organ is on the Pipe organ Register and is thought likely to be one of the oldest organs in Northumberland. It is a rare survivor of the work of Holdich, who build about 500 organs, the majority of which are mostly in East Anglia – Norfolk and Suffolk.
The organ, which has 2 manuals with a lovely tone, has been tuned and maintained by world renowned organ builders, Harrison and Harrison of County Durham, since 1899.
They have noted “It is worthy of note that since its installation over 100 years ago, the organ has required very little attention and it has therefore proved a very economic proposition for the church over this period”. An electric blower was added in 1957, but the original mechanism to hand pump the organ is still in place and still works.
Visiting organists speak very highly of the organ and it is a valuable asset adding interest for visitors to the historic Church of Holy Cross. The organ continues to be played each week for all services.
In recent times the former Assistant Master Organist to Leicester Cathedral learnt on this instrument and has gone on to play in Brazil, Japan and Chartres, he is now teaching others to play.
© 2017 Holy Cross Chatton